Milan Michigan was established in 1831. The roots of history run deep into our community soil. But history, devoid of preservation, would soon be lost as we advance into the future. Downtown Milan, the Old Fire Barn and Friend Hack House are all on the National Parks Register of Historical Places.
Milan's City Council and civic leaders have placed a high priority on preserving pieces of Milan's history. Our children, though progressive in their education, must have a visual understanding of the generations before today. That is why Milan is active in preserving a few treasures from the past for public appreciation.
Community House: Michigan
is probably most recognized as the world’s hub of the automotive industry.
It would be a good assumption that nearly every town in Southeast Michigan has
a statue, building or some other memorabilia that recognizes the car industry.
Within Milan are buildings from the Ford Village Industries.
Shown here is the Community House. The Community House was built in the early 1834 as a gristmill, and then was purchased by Henry Ford in 1935, when at that time it was used for processing soybeans to make paint for automobiles. The Community House is located on Neckel Court and available for small group rentals. Contact Parks and Recreation at 439-1549. We are proud to recognize these building as part of “Motorcities” the Automobile National Heritage Area. Check out their web site www.motorcities.org
Location: 50 Neckel Court
Hack House Museum: The Hack House was built by Olive Friend
in 1888. Soon after William and Mary Hack moved into the Queen Anne style house.
Their son James and his wife Daisy then occupied the house for 72 years. The
Hack House is now a museum and has been quietly kept and maintained by the Milan
Area Historical Society for 23 years, while the Milan Garden Club tends the lovely
period garden surrounding the buildings.
Location: 775 County Street